Monday, November 26, 2007

The Zoo in November?

The boys had Wednesday before thanksgiving off and since it was a pleasant 68 degrees, we decided to take advantage and go to the zoo! I've been wanting to take Araleigh for a while since she's all excited about animals now. It was a great way to get the kids out of the house so they wouldn't make me crazy, not that they ever do... It was great weather, until it started raining, but it was a warm rain so it wasn't that bad. Araleigh likes the rain, she sticks her little hand out to feel it and says "ane?" Pretty cute:) So, I think the Columbus zoo is a pretty good one, but in the off-season it wasn't quite as great as usual. We still had a great time with the animals that we could find, though. The zoo is full of these life-size statues everywhere, and the boys loved posing with such animals as a manatee, a shark, a komodo dragon, an eagle ray, an ape, and others that I can't remember. This shark kinda looks real, especially with the rain water underneath it, huh? Creepy...

Probably my favorite animal was this hilarious penguin that followed Trae and tried to eat his finger through the glass. It followed him around for a good 5 minutes, it was really funny. I guess it was hungry! Araleigh loved watching them swim around. She can't quite say "penguin" yet, but we're working on it.So I guess in the zoo's efforts to keep people coming in the off-season, they have Christmas lights everywhere when it gets dark. You can't see any animals, but hey the lights are pretty. They did a pretty good job with it, and the kids really liked it. Araleigh said "oooooo-ooooo!" a lot, so I guess she enjoyed the lights, too!So that's our Thanksgiving zoo experience, I'm glad we got out while it was still warm, I don't think that weather will be back this year. And the sun has officially gone into hiding as it always does in the mid-west, we will see it again in March or April... Anyway, happy turkey day!!